With temperatures warming up, spring is the perfect time to introduce a kid to the outdoors. A great way to do this is to take them fishing. Here are a few tips for these outings that can keep your kids interested in the outdoors wanting to come back time after time.
- Go shopping for fishing equipment together. Let the child pick out their rod. There are many combinations available to kids. Many have designs or colors that are appealing to children and the shorter rods are easier for kids to handle. A small tackle box with a few select baits and floats complete the outfit. Keep the set up simple. Complicated equipment can discourage kids.
- Target areas that have a high likelihood of success. A small pond or lake that has been stocked with fish is a great place to try. Most kids are happy just catching a number of small fish such as bluegill. The success of catching fish keeps kids interested and makes them look forward to the next trip.
- Try using live bait to increase the chances of catching fish. Once a child has mastered casting, let them try using a simple bait such as a beetle spin. This gets them involved and keeps them from losing interest.
- Be sure to bring plenty of snacks and drinks to make the time outdoors more enjoyable.
- Most importantly, be patient. You may spend most of your time untangling lines or baiting hooks. Kids easily get distracted, they may think the butterfly or frog that they just caught is more fun than fishing. Just roll with it and let them enjoy the time spent outdoors away from TV and video games.